Sometimes, the Windows users may face the error message “The System cannot find the file specified” in different types of scenarios. This is the common but problematic errors for Windows users. It is very important for the user to solve this error because it directly affects the user’s data.
The reason why we get Error (The System Cannot find the File Specified)-
There are many reasons behind the error such as-
- 1- Registry key problems
- 2- Problems with a connection
- 3- Wrong file resolution
- 4- System files are missing or corrupted
- 5- Source volume may contain disk errors
- 6- Missing driver file
Know the process of how to fix error “The System Cannot find the File Specified”-
I can explain all the manual way to solve the error, to solve the manually follows these steps-
- 1- Start the Antivirus Software- When the error comes, I suggest the users firstly run the antivirus software, to scan all the system data and clean the all-malevolent content and junk files.
- 2- Update the Windows- Sometimes Windows offers to update the system, in the case if the user did not update the Windows then, unfortunately, the error” The System Cannot find the File Specified” comes on user’s Windows. To solve the error and upgrade the Windows follow these steps-
- Firstly, Press Windows + I key at the same time and click on the “Update and Security” tab.
- Now select on the “Check for Updates” tab and Check for updates and install them.
- After the end of the process, restart the operating system.
- 3- Check the System Log file – To check the system log file follow these steps-
- Firstly, open INF folder from C:/Windows/inf directory.
- Then find the setupapi.dev.log file or setupapi.dev and open it.
- Press “Ctrl + F” key same time to open Find box.
- Then type “cannot find the file” in the search box and start the search to locate the misplaced file.
- After copy & paste the Windows/inf folder and reinstall the hard disk drive and reboot the Windows OS.
- 4- Change the Registry – The user can fix this error simply by modifying several registry keys. To change the registry follow the steps-
- Press Windows key + R at the same time then type Regedit and press Enter.
- In the open registry dialog box, Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version.
- Then expand the key and look for Run Once key. The user can easily create it if the KEY is not existing.
- To create a new key click the Current Version key and choose New Key from the menu bar.
- Then, type RunOnce as the name of the new key and again Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\ key in the left pane.
- If RunOnce key has successfully been created, then close Registry Editor dialog box and restart Windows OS.
- After complete the steps, the registry has been already changed.
- 5- Uninstall the drivers- Another step to resolve the error is to uninstall and reinstall the drivers
- Firstly, Go to Control Panel and select Device Manager.
- Then expand the category and locate the device, which wants to uninstall.
- Right-click on the device name, select the Uninstall option from the context menu.
- And last, check the “Delete the driver software for this device” and click OK button to confirm the action (uninstall).
- After complete, the process restarts the Windows OS.
- 6- Format USB Flash drive- If the error “The System Cannot find the File Specified” comes on Windows OS then the user can try formatting your hard drive to solve the issue-
- Firstly, Open This Window OS then right-click on the USB drive and choose the Format option.
- Then check the Quick Format option when the format window opens.
- Moreover, click the Start button to start the formatting process.
- After complete the USB formatting process restart the Windows OS.
- 7- Restore the Missing files- To restore the missing files follow these steps-
- Firstly, Right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Then Type “sfc /scannow” into the Command Prompt window & press Enter to full scan the system.
- After complete the process, the message: “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.” is displayed on the Windows screen.
- After the restore process completed restart the Windows OS.
By using all these manual steps the user can easily resolve the error “The System Cannot find the File Specified” and easily work with again Windows OS without any issue. It is a totally free process for the users to solve the error.
Conclusion- I have described in this article, how to solve the “The System Cannot find the File Specified” error without any technical support & without losing money and all the reasons behind the issue. Anyone can easily fix the Windows OS error by reading and follow these steps.